Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

Management Monday: Using a Planning Binder!


One of the handiest tools that I use in my classroom is my teacher's Planning Binder!  A couple of weeks ago, I posted about using Student Organizational Binders in the classroom.
TAA DAA!  My Planning Binder!
The Planning  Binder is the "teacher's edition" of this handy tool. I love that I can take it home at the end of the day and it has everything I need to "fully function" at home.  I have tabs for:

1. Classroom & School Information (class lists, calendars, addresses, contact info, tracking sheets, etc)
2. Calendars (1 for teacher reminders/dates, 1 for student dates)
2. My Planning Calendars (1 set for each subject)
3. My Gradebook
4. My Planbook
5. Meeting Notes
Planning Calendars in ACTION!
The Planning Calendars are, by FAR, my favorite component.  There's something about viewing a whole month at one time that helps me with my longer-term planning.  I am, by no means, a long-term planner.  (I really don't know how teachers can plan out a whole week, month, or even YEAR at a time!) The Planning Calendars helps me with this by allowing me to better visualize and schedule assessments and projects.
I know this isn't a revolutionary concept for many of you but I just started using this last year and I feel much more organized because of it.  I found, my first year, that managing a separate gradebook, set of calendars, planbook, and then random student information drove me NUTS!  Now it's all together in one location (something I'm a huge advocate of!) and it's even portable. NICE!


 I've attached the Planning Calendars here and a random assortment of covers.  Choose your favorite!  (These are directly taken from my Classroom Theme Kits, by the way...so enjoy!) :D

20 comments:

  1. Your calendars are adorable. Your holidays aren't the same as ours so I was wondering is there any way to get an editable copy of it.

    Thanks,
    g8tr410@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are precious! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, hopefully you got my email and Julie--you're welcome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your calendars! They are totally cute. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your planning binder. If I didn't already have a system in place I would totally steal this:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janis-

    LOVE your blog...you are in my Google Reader :). I have the same comment as Kathy above. Could I get an editable copy to adjust for my days off?

    Thanks :)

    heatherie73@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally adorable! I'm a new follower & third grade teacher! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is the font you used on your calendar pages? Where did you get your cute graphic backgrounds for all of the binder cover pages? Thanks!!

    Miss J

    Smiles, Crayons, and Endless Stories

    ReplyDelete
  9. can I also get an editable copy. These seem to be from the wrong year. I need Sept. 1st on a Thurs!
    lynsygirl@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I also get an editable copy? These are so cute but the dates don't line up for 2011. Thanks!

    kerrie.riley@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello,
    I love this! Would you mind sending me an edited version of the calendar? Also, I was hoping I could see some more pics of your binder. Do you have them?

    Thanks!
    Heather Stein

    uthorns2004@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would LOVE a version of the calendar that I can edit as well. I'm currently student teaching and trying to get things ready for when I have my own classroom next year! This is an AWESOME resource! Thanks so much!
    paige8@uni.edu

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would you mind sending me an editable version of this? Thanks sooo much for this!!

    haskindergarten@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What font did you use on the green one with the bird? I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I am a first year teacher and would love to have the planner calendars. Your blog is so helpful!!

    amyaustin@ou.edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say the editable copy! Thank you!

      amyaustin@ou.edu

      Delete
  16. I also would love it if you would repost a new 2012-2013 calendar. I loved the old one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Would you please send me on that I can edit also?
    Thanks!! Love this idea!!

    Jackiehart01@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are great, I would love to have a current one.

    Meagan.patrick@montgomery.kyschools.us

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just found your blog and love your calendar. Could I also get an editable one? Thanks, my email is doliver3532@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete